Wednesday, December 22, 2010

NATIONAL MISS THE BUS DAY

(11/29/2010)

Every year there is a miss the bus day. It's different every year. But I officially declare November 29, 2010 to be National Miss the Bus Day this year.

I realized this morning that I wasn't going to catch the 831 in time to go to school on time. So I resolved to catch the next closest bus that goes to BYU from my house, which happens to be the 830. But, of course, I started walking toward the 831 bus stop as soon as I went out my front door, so I had to turn around and head back to the 830 stop.

The delay caused by initially going the wrong direction, combined with the delay caused by walking on an icy sidewalk resulted in my seeing the 830 passing by just when I was out of reach of it. I also didn't want to start running down an icy sidewalk. I have my tailbone to think of.

So I glumly continued walking to the next closest bus, which was the 833. By this time I was in downtown Provo, and had I walked in the opposite direction, I would be at the southern end of BYU campus instead of in downtown Provo, but, dang it, I was taking the bus, and I was going to take it, even if I had to walk five blocks in the wrong direction.

I dutifully took up my post at Center and University to wait for the 833. I was there in plenty of time, but of course, as I was waiting, I saw the next 830 go by. Of course.

I was mildly vindicated by the fact that, when the 833 finally got to BYU, it was still ahead of the 830 I had seen go by. I was unvindicated by the fact that when the 833 got to BYU, the next 831 was pulling in on the opposite side of the street. I could have stayed home . . .

2 comments:

  1. That's even better than the time I got on the bus going the wrong way, had to sit at the Provo Mall on the bus for a half an hour before it turned around to take me home. This was a long time ago. I've learned the ways of the bus since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes, the bus can be unforgiving until you learn its ways. Hopefully I've been able to smooth the learning curve for other people.

    ReplyDelete