Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SOMETIMES THE 831 IS FASTER THAN A CAR (PART 1)

One happy night I was at Institute with some friends, eating refreshments after the lesson was over. Amidst the general scene of joviality I suddenly stood up and announced, "I've gotta go; I've got a bus to catch."

Since I lived about two blocks away, one of my friends asked me "Where are you going?"

I said, "To Wal-Mart." This caused an unexpected display of consternation on her part. "How can you go to Wal-Mart at a time like this? On the BUS! How are you getting back?"

I mentioned there would be a bus back. She was undeterred. "What if you miss it?" "I won't miss it." "You can't go." "I've done this many times before." "I'm not letting you go."

At this point, a couple of other friends began to take her side, so I eventually caved. "Ok, ok, you can take me." Sheesh.

So then we had to wait for everyone to finish eating. And then we had to walk down to the house of the particular friend whose car had been chosen for this mission. We had to wait while the car was scraped off (it was winter). I'm pretty sure at least one person had to primp before we left.

As we pulled out of the driveway, I looked at the time on the car clock. It was 9:14 p.m. In other words, the time the 831 would have gotten to Wal-Mart, had I caught it as I had originally intended.

5 comments:

  1. Lerned yer lesson, dincha? Always, always, always listen to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously you've forgotten what is was like to get rides from me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu, I will never, ever forget what it's like to get rides from you . . . remember, the 831 is only SOMETIMES faster than a car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we all know primping before a trip to WalMart is likewise vital... you never know when redneck romance might strike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately, it didn't that night.

    ReplyDelete