Saturday, April 23, 2011

EPIC TEMPLE BUS TRIP

I ride the bus alot. But every once in a while something comes along that completely, totally throws me.

Let's break down how my day went.

5:30 a.m. Wake up to commutergirl's alarm. Fall back asleep.

6:30 a.m. Wake up to my own alarm. Fall back asleep.

7:30 a.m. Actually wake up. Don't feel bad because it's between semesters. (I probably wouldn't feel bad anyway.)

8:00 a.m. Eat breakfast.

8:15 a.m. Leave the apartment with the intent of going to the temple.

8:17 a.m. Return to the apartment to retrieve my temple bag, which I forgot the first time.

8:31 a.m. Catch the 850 Southbound at my usual stop. I had previously decided to be lazy and catch the 850, then the 811, then the F868, because this didn't involve any actual walking after I got to the 850 stop (stay tuned).

8:32 a.m. Come to terms with the fact that the 811 Northbound isn't coming for another 47 minutes. Read textbook on electronic music that I still have from my sophomore year and never read when I actually took Music 288. Understand it better now.

8:39 a.m. Realize that the 811 Northbound will not catch the F868 at the American Fork FrontRunner Station. This is bad, because the F868 doesn't run between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. In other words, I should abandon ship. Or abandon trip. Shouldn't I? Too bad I'm stubborn.

8:59 a.m. Get on the 850 Northbound, after mental struggle about whether it makes sense to catch the same bus I caught before, in the opposite direction, to try to get to the same destination I planned to reach at the beginning. Get on anyway, because I'm cold, and the bus is warm.

9:29 a.m. Come to the realization that the 850 will probably not catch the F868, either. But by this time, I'm in American Fork, so what am I going to do? Walk home? No, I stay on the bus.

9:31 a.m. Have marvelous epiphany. Even though the F868 gets to the official transfer point at 9:29, it unofficially crosses the 850 some 12 or 13 minutes later. Hooray! I'll just get off at 300 West and Main St. and walk a couple of blocks to a friendly F868 stop.

9:39 a.m. Get off at 300 West and Main St. Begin to stride confidently down 300 West, looking for a bus stop. Upon not discovering a bus stop, walk more and more quickly and desperately.

9:44 a.m. Finally see bus stop, five blocks further down the route. And F868. It's too late. I missed it.

9:45 a.m. Begin walking to the temple anyway, even though I am fully aware it is sixteen blocks away.

10:18 a.m. Arrive at the Mt. Timpanogos LDS Temple.

www.mormontempleboston.com



10:33 a.m. Realize that I have just missed a session, and will have to wait 27 minutes for the next one to begin.

12:54 p.m. Leave the temple. Check the schedule and realize that I missed the F868 by nine minutes, and that the next one will not be by for another fifty-three. Stand at bus stop reading my textbook for all fifty-three minutes, learning about electronic music in the 1950s in Paris, Cologne, and Milan. As absorbing as a Brawny(R) paper towel.

1:47 p.m. Board the F868, which is, admittedly, right on time, but must continue to circumambulate all of northern Utah County before reaching my destination.

2:22 p.m. Alight from the F868, just in time to see the 811 Southbound pull out of the station. Poo. Walk around a little bit. Realize my legs are chafed from their unplanned twenty-one-block walk earlier in the day. Observe with trepidation that traffic is moving at a snail's pace on the nearby freeway.

2:41 p.m. Board the next 811 Southbound, which is, inexplicably, on time.

2:44 p.m. Enter the freeway. Go a maximum of maybe 15 miles per hour at any given point. Keep in mind it's not rush hour. It's just I-15.

3:15 p.m. Having just barely entered Orem city limits, call my old roommate to see how his cleaning check went. Mine is scheduled for 4:00. Remark on the inanity of the fact that it has taken me almost eight hours to go the temple and back. This would not take more than three hours in a car.

3:35 p.m. Alight from the 811, which is now 20 minutes late, at 500 North. Run to my old apartment to finish cleaning.

4:02 p.m. Property management arrives just in time (I have informed them that if they are more than three minutes late, I will leave the keys on the table and walk out). Cleaning check completed without major drama.

4:17 p.m. Help other roommates with cleaning checks. A little bit. Refuse to clean back of oven because I am still wearing a long-sleeved white dress shirt. I had had every intention of coming home and changing in between the temple and the cleaning check. Silly me. Silly, silly busninja.

4:55 p.m. After almost despairing of waiting for another late bus, board the 831 to BYU.

5:00 p.m. Arrive at BYU. Aid client with preparation of accompanist binder.

5:30 p.m. Participate in vocal rehearsal, in preparation for recital the following day.

6:08 p.m. Wend my weary way back to the BYU bus stop. Make a split-second decision (against all reason, and against previous experience today) to catch the 817, instead of the 830, which showed up late, or the 832, which hasn't shown up yet. The 817 is also late, but is an express, which is cool. And faster. Make arrangements for commutergirl to pick me up at UVU, since the 817 doesn't stop at the Transit Center.

6:20 p.m. Briefly wonder if bus driver will let me off at UVU, since people don't often get off there. Not getting off at UVU would involve riding the bus all the way back to the American Fork FrontRunner Station, where I have already spent too much time, and then having to catch another 811 Southbound back to Orem. Decide to escape by the window, if necessary, to avoid having to take another bus ever again.

6:35 p.m. Know it is 6:35 because the last 862 of the "night" is pulling out of UVU. Stand up and start walking off the bus as soon as the bus stops, preventing the bus driver from preventing my getting off. Walk to commutergirl's car.

7:00 p.m. Eat. Please keep in mind that I have not substantively eaten since 8:00 a.m. The rest really doesn't matter, because I got to eat.

3 comments:

  1. It is days like this that make you a busninja. A lesser mortal would have crumbled like so much of a crumbly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Good job! Had that kind of epiphany before! As long as it takes, it's worth it when you're going to the Temple (still a shorter trip here than in many parts of the world-even in the States). Biking it isn't really all that much better either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support, as those closest to me have been somewhat skeptical of the whole trip . . . :)

    And yes, while 8 hours is a long temple trip, it's not very long in the grand scheme of things. I'll just have to bring snacks next time.

    ReplyDelete