Wednesday, June 15, 2011

SPAIN TRIP #2: TRANSPORTES ROBER

Dedicated readers of this blog know that I recently returned from my honeymoon in Park City. Of course, we rode the bus there. But I realized that I have visited two other transit agencies since I started this blog, neither of which I have written about. I'm anal. So we go in order.

Spain Trip #1 detailed our epic, multimodal excursion from Provo all the way to Granada, Spain. But the best transport of the trip was actually in Granada.



From the first time I rode the local bus in Granada, my heart was warmed by the sight of so many people availing themselves of the public transit service. I know it's more culturally acceptable there than it is here, but it still did me good.

The bus drivers were competent, punctual, and surprisingly tourist-friendly. They courteously answered the questions I asked (maybe they were just surprised that I spoke Spanish). Unlike buses around here, the Transportes Rober buses carried change on board. A ticket window separated the driver from the passengers, which made it safer for the drivers to carry change. This was nice, since I didn't have anything smaller than 5 Euros when I arrived. The whole window and counter arrangement swings open and closed for the bus driver to get on and off.


You can buy single passages or put money on a card (I kept my card as a souvenir. Surprised?) and recharge it indefinitely. Shockingly, I was not the first member of our party to buy a bus card. You also get a 2-for-1 at Burger King every time you recharge. Cool.

And you better believe I've still got it

Unlike UTA, the Transportes Rober buses had radios, and played music. For someone who isn't accustomed to it, it's rather a shock to get on the bus and hear Lady Gaga from all directions!

www.judyhalone.com


The one thing that was confusing for me was that the route map didn't have the street names on it. Instead, each bus stop had a unique name (this has since been changed). Sometimes this was the name of the street, but sometimes it was named after the building it's in front of, etc., and I had a hard time knowing exactly where to get off. Fortunately, nothing is too far away in Granada.

One of the times I was looking up the schedules online, I found some comments that people had written, complaining up and down about how awful their bus company was. I thought, you people really should come to Utah and give it a try. You'll come back to Granada and kiss the ground.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm in your blog- by picture and by reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how could I do a blog post about the bus in Spain and NOT feature you . . . that would just be silly!

    ReplyDelete