Monday, July 25, 2011

AS THEY WALKED, AND WALKED, AND WALKED, AND WALKED

Today's Pioneer Day, observed. Which means I can go as far as my feet will take me.

For those of you who are not familiar with Utahness, we get the 24th of July off as well as the 4th. Why? Because that's the day the Mormon pioneers, with Brigham Young as their leader, got to where they were going. We now call it "Salt Lake."


People who are not from Utah or have not lived here for many years have a hard time processing this holiday. This confuses me. You . . . don't want the day off?

(Actually, I have to be careful with this. My wife has to work today . . .)

UTA in Utah County also gets the day off today. There will be one 811 every two-and-a-half to three hours today, but I can't make plans around that--not plans that don't take all day, anyway.

So, I'm getting in touch with my pioneer roots today. I shall walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and maybe I shall sing as I walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, aaaaaaaaaaand walk (those of you who know the song know what I mean), and I don't care if people with their windows down hear me, because I will be happy getting to where I'm going, and if they're not, that's their problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment