Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I CAN'T GRIPE AT YOU, BECAUSE YOU'RE, LIKE, SIX, BUT I CAN GIVE YOU THE EVIL EYE

One time on the 811, I was seated in front of a mother and daughter.  The daughter, I'm sure, is adorable once you get to know her.  My first exposure to her was slightly less than adorable, however.

The mother, wisely knowing that it takes the 811 a while to get anywhere, decided to allow her daughter to occupy herself by listening to Taylor Swift.

thegloss.com

Now, I have no problem with Taylor Swift, as long as someone else is listening to her, and they have headphones in, and I can't hear it.  I start getting uncomfortable when she's piped over the PA.  I get a little more uncomfortable when she's on the car stereo.  From this continuum you may extrapolate how I feel when someone is listening to Taylor Swift on headphones and starts singing along, in monotone, directly behind me.


Her mother, of course, was used to it, and so gave no indication that anything was wrong.  I, however, am not her mother.

She was, like, six.  I couldn't yell at her!  That would be absurd.  But I was being driven out of my classical-music-snob mind . . . so I resorted to giving her the evil eye.

Each time I gave her the evil eye, she stopped singing along.  For about five seconds.  Then she would start again, very softly at first, but gradually work her way back up to full volume.  Because that way I wouldn't notice.

I just want you to know (especially in light of yesterday's post) that I didn't say anything.  I just gave her the evil eye a few times, ineffective though it turned out to be.

The happy ending to this story is that mother and daughter got off relatively soon, before we even got on the freeway.  At which point a man got on who was WHISTLING to the music in his headphones . . .


1 comment:

  1. We sometimes get passengers who don't care about the headphones rule and just play their music full out. But they scary so I don't even give them the evil eye.

    ReplyDelete