Thursday, November 24, 2011

HAPPY GIVINGTHANKS

"Givingthanks" comes from a quiz in 3-2-1 Contact magazine (r) when I was a kid.  The question was asking how Thanksgiving was different in Canada from the United States.  The answer, of course, is that it's about a month earlier, but one of the choices in the multiple-choice question was "They call it 'Givingthanks' instead of 'Thanksgiving.'"  Probably to throw people off, they included a picture of a mountie saying "Happy Givingthanks!"  For whatever reason, my odd brain has stuck with occasionally calling it that.

Today I am thankful for many things.  I am thankful for buses, and blogging, and my wife.  Not necessarily in that order.  I am thankful to live in a place where government agencies consider working together for the transportation benefit of all, rather than never talking to each other at all.  I am grateful to live close to a train, and that there will soon be a train to Provo.  Outside of transportation I am thankful for my friends, my family, my job, my religious faith, and the chance to get an education. I'm thankful for a place to sleep and food to eat.  I am also thankful for other things, but if you want to know more about that, you'll probably have to ask me in person, since that's ostensibly not why people are reading this blog.

You may also be interested to know that commutergirl is starting her own blog.  I say "commutergirl", but I really mean "fille de la nourriture," because that's her new title.  I shall be known on her blog as "DC," which is short for "Dining Companion."  It's a useful role I play in our marriage--I make it so that she doesn't have to go to restaurants alone to try them.  Part of the reason I encouraged her to start a blog is so that when we go to a restaurant and she's bursting with wisdom and commentary, it isn't all just lost on me (If you think I talk about the bus a lot, you obviously haven't heard her talk about food).  In addition to restaurant musings, she plans on sharing amusing food-industry-related anecdotes, historical tidbits about food that may well surprise you, and tips on how to get your food/server/hungry husband to do what you want.  If you enjoy her at parties, you'll almost certainly enjoy her in written form.  Not that I'm biased or anything.  Expect to see her postings (and my snarky responses to them) soon!

That's all for today.  Happy Givingthanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment