Friday, December 9, 2011

READING DAY FUN

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days.  I know, I spoil you.  Today is Reading Day at BYU, which, so far, means I slept in three hours and read the paper.  I don't know if I've ever gotten actual studying done the first reading day.  I'm planning on doing at least a little.  But for now, I blog.

I thought about what I could do to celebrate Reading Day this year.  Ride the Red Line all the way to the end again?  Fun, but not quite what I'm looking for.  No, I think it's time to do a musical post.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote down a list of every song that was in my head during my journey to school.  I don't have an iPod or anything like unto it because I feel like it would interrupt the constant stream of music going through my head.  My brain is messed with enough anyway, these days.

So, what WAS in my head that day?

Gavotte, François-Joseph Gossec.



Except that I was imagining it in my head in C major, for some reason, with more pedal and a few extravagant trills here and there for good measure. No idea why; I only ever played it in D major.

Lazy Song, Bruno Mars.

I hate this song. It was only in my head because it was someone on the station platform's ringtone. I choose to interpret this song through GloZell rather than post the actual video.



Nevertheless, it was in my head for a considerable number of seconds after I heard the ringtone, so it counts.

Edge of Glory, Lady Gaga.

I have no idea where this came from. Once again, I find GloZell's rendition much more compelling than the actual video, and I know I'm not alone in this.



O Weisheit, Seven Magnificat Antiphons, Arvo Pärt.

This is just the first one. But there are six more. I. LOVE. THIS.



If you don't, we can still be friends. I understand. But Pärt is seriously my hero. No, really, ask my composition-nerd friends. They don't understand it either. But they'll admit it's true.

Sonata No. 7, III, Prokofiev.

This was in my head because I'm learning it. Because I'm crazy. But I also love this piece. The 3rd Movement starts at 5:12.



I will make no remarks about this video's legality . . . but it is wonderful to behold. Sorry, I'm one of the ones that think Argerich is the queen, though some may disagree.

I was originally going to write down every song that was in my head all day long, but that would have made a very long blog post indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment