Monday, February 20, 2012

CITY CREEK HARMON'S

So, I went to the City Creek Harmon's the day it opened.  The one place I go on opening day would be a grocery store . . .

It was a simple affair, really.  I left for lunch and hopped on the 500.  When it went past Harmon's, I got off.

As I walked toward the back entrance, I saw crowds of people streaming out the door.  I thought, surely there cannot be that many people here for the opening of a grocery store.

I walked in, and . . . holy nice grocery store.




Cheese!


Buffet!
I had been mistaken.  A lot of people showed up for the opening of a grocery store.  It took me about ten minutes to walk from one side of the store to the other.  I snapped pictures as I went.  Some of them are at odd angles because they were literally as I went.

I ran into one of the employees there who is a friend from high school, who married another friend from high school, and at whose wedding I played the cello.  I borrowed the cello from a former roommate, whom I did not see at Harmon's.  Oh well.

I also ran into one of my co-workers, just outside the cooking school.  I offered to take a picture of her, to which she vehemently objected, so I made her take a picture of me.  The light's not that good.  But I look like a kid in a candy store.  Or a grocery store.


My co-worker asked me how I got there.  I said, "on the bus, duh."  That probably wasn't very tactful.  But seriously, there are so many buses that go past there.  How many?  Routes 3, 6, 11, 200, 209, 220, 347, 451, 453, 454, 455, 460, 461, 462, 463, 470, 471, 472, 473, 500, 520, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, and 807 go right past it, and routes 2, 205, 307, 320, 519, 902, and TRAX go within a block of it.

Now, busninja, you're saying.  A lot of those routes are expresses and only run during rush hour.  (Come on, I know you're saying it.)  Well, people still take those buses at rush hour, and maybe they can do some shopping when they get off work before they go home.  And a lot of them do run all day.  Carry groceries on the bus?, you're saying.  Yes.  It happens.  I did it for years.  It works well, as long as none of the items you're carrying are too strenuous or perishable . . . I confess that the experience of shopping with a cart, something I've only started doing again since I've been married, is still a little off-putting to me.  You're insane, you're saying.  You're not normal, busninja.  Aw, c'mon, look back up at that picture of me.  Is that the face of a crazy man?  No.  It's not.  I'm fine.  I swear.

Anyway, the next time you're downtown and you have a hankering for some groceries, check Harmon's out.  And, should you want to take transit, all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment