Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A PRISONER IN MY OWN HOUSE (PART 1)


It was a bad morning.  I had spent most of the night awake.  Insomnia rules.

I squared my shoulders when my alarm went off (no small feat, as I was sprawled out on the living room floor), and nevertheless prepared myself for my day.  Everything was actually fine, until I got out the door and realized I didn't have my wallet.

See, my wallet contains the keycard for the pedestrian gate into and out of our apartment complex.   You can't get the big gate to open unless you're a car.

So, I returned to my apartment and searched frantically for my wallet.  It was nowhere to be found.  Poor commutergirl.  I didn't make her morning any nicer by grumpily stamping about the apartment looking for the dratted thing.

Eventually I despaired of ever finding it and was pretty sure I had lost it forever.  I went back out to the gate and waited for a car to come by so the gate would swing open.  As I stood there, I listened to the roar of cars on the freeway, loud even at 6:15 a.m. and even a mile away.  I thought about how most people never think about how loud the freeway is.

Then I heard the sound that was music to my ears--a car starting.  I never thought I'd say that.

Forever later, the car actually swung into view, and I exited the gate behind it.

Work actually wasn't too bad.  Taking a nap instead of lunch definitely helped.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .

2 comments:

  1. Someone just posted these two bus videos on Facebook and I thought, "Now who would want to see these? Probably the bus ninja." Here you go:

    http://youtu.be/SG84ugdm6Cc

    http://youtu.be/AJL4XJYK-dM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! I laughed out loud at the second one.

    ReplyDelete