Thursday, April 5, 2012

ANNIVERSARY!!!


BUSNINJA & commutergirl 1 year and counting!

For our anniversary, we did what any normal person would do--we had dinner at a really expensive restaurant and went to the opera.  I maintain that this is a normal anniversary activity.

Of course we got nice and dressed up.  And, of course, we took the train.  It's amazing (and amusing) to me that you can get on a train around here in formal attire and not have most people even bat an eye.  Most people didn't.



On the street or in buildings, however, commutergirl was getting compliments left and right about her dress.  I didn't get any about my pocket square.

We ate at Bambara restaurant (can be reached by routes 2, 3, 6, 11, 200, 205, 209, 220, 500, numerous express/fast bus routes, the Blue Line, the Green Line, and even the Red Line if you feel like walking a little, which, considering the rich dinner you're about to have, is probably not a bad idea), and attended the opera at the Capitol Theater (served by all the same routes as Bambara, since they are around the corner from each other).

We saw L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti (what? who?), an opera whose every aria I have played at one time or another during my accompanying days; as it was my first time seeing the whole opera, it was interesting to see where all the arias fit in, etc.  I couldn't help doing a little bit of air piano during some of them.  The quality of performance was quite good--enough to mollify the music-snob wolf inside me, which gets quite ravenous at times.  And then we took the train home.

It didn't hurt that it was a lovely night.  Even at 10:30 p.m. when we got home, it wasn't uncomfortably cold.

When we got home we agreed that it was an anniversary evening well spent.  And that we won't be able to afford another one until our second anniversary.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, you two! Glad you celebrated in such a lovely and memorable way. I love how you included all the bus routes in your description. Reading your posts always makes me smile. Thanks for sharing. :-) And I wish for you many lovely anniversaries to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to our favorite transport couple!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, and congrats.

    One of your posts in the past mentioned that Sandy was contemplating constructing a streetcar between the South Jordan FrontRunner station and the Sandy Civic Center Trax station. Do you know the latest on this? I wrote about it on the Salt Lake Tribune comment boards and curious minds want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know about it I heard from guest speakers in my engineering classes--the first speaker simply mentioned that a streetcar was being considered, and recently another speaker told us that Sandy is considering a mixed-use district in the neighborhood of State and 90th-106th South. It would include the soccer stadium, Jordan Commons, the Expo Center, South Towne Mall, etc. There would be a circulator of some kind, streetcar or otherwise, connecting this whole development to TRAX and FrontRunner. I haven't heard much else about it; I think it's very much still in the planning stages, but what little I've heard so far is very encouraging.

    Long story short, I wouldn't expect the streetcar soon, but I would expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, alright. Thanks for letting me know. I suppose the 218 will be the interim link between the FrontRunner and Trax stations.

    ReplyDelete