Monday, April 9, 2012

DEAR STUPID PROVO DRIVER (42)

Dear stupid Provo Driver:

I don't expect you know what a progression speed is. That's probably traffic engineering jargon.

I think you do know, however, that the speed limit on Center St. in Provo is 15 mph. And I think you resent it. Forgive me if that's an overgeneralization. I'm pretty sure everyone in Provo resents the fact that the speed limit on Center St. in Provo is 15 mph.

Nevertheless, the speed limit on Center St. in Provo is 15 mph. And the progression speed is also about 15 mph.

Okay, I'll stop teasing you. It is fun, though.

Progression speed means that the traffic lights along a given stretch of road are timed so that you can make it through all or most of them with minimal delays if you go a certain speed. Thus, on Center St. in Provo (where the speed limit is 15 mph), we were going the speed limit, and we only had to wait a few seconds at each light. You were going twice the speed limit, and you had to wait about 30 seconds at each light. Did you see us pull up next to you at every single red light? We saw us pull up next to you at every single red light.

I might be going out on a limb here, so correct me if I'm wrong: you were sitting there cursing every one of those lights, yes? And we were . . . having a calming Sunday evening drive. And . . . we both got to University at the same time.

You don't have to like the fact that the speed limit on Center St. in Provo is 15 mph. Or the progression speed. But you could be enjoying the drive more.

Regards,
BUSNINJA

No comments:

Post a Comment