Saturday, April 21, 2012

FREEWAY FAIL


The two incidents I described in the two preceding posts, coupled with many others, have led me to develop an analogy that I will now share with you.

The freeway is like that boyfriend or girlfriend that we've all had, or heard about, that is manipulative, or needy, or maybe just so immature that you can't stand to be in the same room with them.  Then, when you confront them about it, or threaten to leave them, they promise to change.  And then, they don't.  It happens over and over and over and over and over again, until you either decide to get out of the relationship anyway, let the shrapnel fall where it may (and it usually falls quite a lot in these cases), or die.

The freeway, every few years comes back to you and says, "Don't hate me!  I'm bigger now!  I've added new lanes! new interchanges! new technology!  I'm not congested anymore!  You can drive on me without hating your life and/or developing sciatica!  Please, please, please, come back!"

And you believe it, when the freeway says this to you.  So, you come back.  And then, a few years later, it's congested again.  It needs to be expanded again.  You confront it again, and it promises to change again (all it needs is a few billion dollars).  And then it changes again.  And then it goes right back to the way it was again.  And again.  And again.

Please, America.  Get out of this relationship.  It's taking you nowhere.  







Pun intended.

2 comments:

  1. Try bay area traffic. You'll bless Utah's freeway and every lovely thing about it.

    There are just too many people... At least in Utah you can blame big Mormon families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel about the same way driving in Bay Area traffic as I do about driving in Lima traffic.

    ReplyDelete