Thursday, April 26, 2012

JUST LIKE THE REST OF US

I am by nature a very detail-oriented, exacting, snarky, difficult-to-live-with sort of person.  Riding the bus has helped mitigate this personality trait, to the general relief of society at large.  Where once I would have judged people up and down in my head, I now realize that most people out there are just muddling through, just like I am.

The other night, a man was running for a bus I was sitting on.  He waved animatedly at the driver to get his attention, to let him know he was coming.  Of course, the bus I was sitting on was stopped at a TRAX station and wasn't going anywhere for several minutes.

The man loaded his bike onto the rack on the front of the bus, then boarded, panting, and took the seat in front of mine.

After we pulled out, he began almost constantly checking his watch (which was fifty-three minutes slow).  He pulled out a 201 schedule (we were on the 200) and began earnestly perusing the Saturday timetable (it was Tuesday).  And then, when his stop came, he confidently pulled the cord and got off, collecting his bike off the front of the bus before walking his bike away (not riding it).

I had many opportunities to feel superior to this man, but I decided against it.  He seemed to know what he was doing when he got off the bus.  Maybe he really did need to know the 201 Saturday schedule for future reference.  Maybe he was conducting an experiment in temporal disorientation.  I don't know.  All I know is, he was just trying to muddle on through.  Just like the rest of us.

1 comment: