Monday, May 7, 2012

WELL, I WENT TO A CINCO DE MAYO PARTY

This morning, while I was calmly allowing the 200 to convey me to work, a woman asked her ostensibly Mexican conversation partner, "So, did you do anything for cinco de mayo?"

He said, "No, I didn't do [michi*]."

They asked around to a couple of other people sitting nearby, and no one had done anything in honor of Mexico's independence.

I sat in the back and thought, I'm more latino than all y'all.

* Michi means "cat" in Quechua.  In Perú, this word is used as a substitute word for the Spanish swear word which has the same first two letters, which is in turn the closest translation for the word that was actually said on the bus this morning.


3 comments:

  1. I'm two weeks behind, but I thought you deserve to know that Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with Mexican Independence. It has to do with the Mexicans beating the crud out of the French in the battle of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day is 16 de Septiembre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***frantically checks Wikipedia***

    I was WRONG about something? All this time . . .

    ***commences shivering uncontrollably***

    I swear someone told me in elementary school that it was Mexican independence day. And my elementary school was, like, sixty miles from Mexico, so I just assumed it was true.

    Now what am I going to do with myself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mexican Independence Day is sometime in September. My husband served in Merida. Apparently Cinco de Mayo is an excuse for college kids to go get drunk. The Mexicans could care less.

    ReplyDelete