Monday, June 11, 2012

ANTS

I sometimes leave my house at 6:55, or 7:01, or 7:11, or 7:16, or 7:26, or 7:31, depending on when I have to be to work, and on what mode of transit I have decided to convey myself thence.

When I leave my house at 7:26 or 7:31, I often run across a phenomenon that I don't encounter at other times of the day: large groups of ants milling about.  I don't see any particularly tantalizing food items on the street near the crowds of ants, nor any signs of recent upheaval near the entrances to their underground homes.  It just seems like they like being outside around 7:30 a.m.  Who am I to judge?

I generally try not to step on the ants as I walk past them.  This is generally rather easily accomplished.  However, the other morning I happened upon what I'm pretty sure was the Salt Lake County Republican Ant Convention.  It stretched from the street corner well onto the sidewalk and spilled out onto the ground on either side.  I did my best not to step on any deleg-ants, but I can't make any promises.

Anyone who has a biologically sound explanation for the ants' matutine behavior in my area is welcome to volunteer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment