Monday, July 23, 2012

ANY TIME IS TRAIN TIME



At church yesterday, after we had gotten back from singing with the really little kids and had slipped back in with the not-quite-as-little kids before it was their turn to sing, a lesson in honesty was being presented.  We were talking about not cheating on tests, when one spunky youngster (we'll call him Lemuel, shall we?) started raising objections: "I've cheated on lots of tests, and I've never felt sick inside."  "Well, I already knew everything, so I didn't have to cheat, but I did anyway."


If that were my kid . . .
 
The topic next turned to obeying traffic laws while driving.  Lemuel had an answer for everything, of course.  "But what if your wife was pregnant, and you were on the way to the hospital?  Should you stop at the red light then?"  Our gently discouraging answers were doing nothing to sway him from his goal to be as contrary as possible, so it was time to ramp it up a notch.

I raised my hand.  "What if you are crossing a train track, and the lights come on and the gates come down?  Should you wait for the train to go by, or should you try to run and beat it?"

A chorus of "NO!!!"s rang out from the assembled children.  The teacher, capitalizing on this newfound unity, reminded the children that they should NEVER, EVER try to beat a train across the tracks.

Lemuel said . . . nothing.

Because even Lemuel knows that any time is train time.

2 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed this post. So much so actually, that I read it all aloud to my husband so he could enjoy it to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I helped create family togetherness! :)

    ReplyDelete