Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WELL, THIS IS INTRIGUING

As you may or may not have heard, BYU is planning on converting Campus Drive into a "walking plaza."  (Quotation from the original article.)

This is an interesting idea.  I think a lot of people are nervous about it, which is understandable.  But it has a lot of potential.  There's a funny thing about closing roads: if you do it right, it actually reduces traffic problems.  Campus Drive is pretty much a hot traffic mess right now.  Closing it would mean a lot of other things would need to change, but maybe that is the opportunity BYU has been waiting for.

It means the dreaded move to 9th East that so many of us that ride the bus have been fearing.  But there's potential here as well.  9th East could actually become the gateway to BYU for bus passengers.  I'm glad UTA is apparently being consulted on the proposal.  Of course, the BYU spokesman mentioned every other way to get onto campus besides UTA (which is still, even with some service pulled from BYU last month, the best alternative to driving), but I exhausted my transit-bitterness at BYU a while ago and will not belabor the point further.  Again, this could be a chance to make improvements that have been due for a while now, like better bus integration.

It says the project will take three years to complete.  Well, that sounds like fun.  It's not BYU unless there's construction somewhere.  Decades from now, BYU alumni will say, "I was on campus during the reconstruction of Campus Drive," and a hush will fall over the assembled crowd.  If BYU can get a better handle on their transportation situation because of the change, it's worth it and I'm all for it.  I'm also probably not going to visit campus very much until it's over.

4 comments:

  1. Wow- that would be amazing. Too bad I probably won't be here to enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there will be lots of pictures in BYU Magazine (which you WILL get, because they WILL find you. They already send us two each month; my question is, will they start sending us three now that I've graduated twice?) when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember they did this to Ricks College at Viking Drive back in 1999. Nice for walking from the Manwaring Center, but you had to cut through parking lots or completely go around campus to get to the other side by vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I hope this project HELPS the transportation situation and doesn't just create more problems. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete