Monday, February 18, 2013

THE NEW SCHEDULE, AGAIN

As you know if you've been paying any sort of attention (this apparently rules out most transit users in Salt Lake County), the FrontRunner schedule, and along with it quite a few bus schedules, is going to change tomorrow.  I have a lot of thoughts about this, so I thought I'd collect a few of the more coherent ones here, since if there's one thing people have come to rely on around here, it's that I have a lot of nerdy opinions about transit schedule changes:

  • All the Utah County bus schedules are changing, again.  Utah County got a number done on them last change day, and here are all the schedules changing again.  It seems like most of the routes made it through relatively painlessly, although there are a couple of awkward gaps in the schedule in the middle of the day that weren't there before (see the 821 and 831 schedules, for example).  The 11:00 p.m. 830 trips that I so love were preserved, however.
  • None of the routes changed routing.  Thank heavens.  We've been spared that until April, when there will have to be a few changes of necessity due to the Airport line opening, which I can't imagine not being a good thing (though I'm sure the local news will find ways to make it seem like the end of the world, as with every other UTA change in recent history).
  • Overall travel times should be shorter IF you have a connection to make.  I've seen some frustration in the internets recently about FrontRunner taking longer to get where it's going now.  This is true, if you drive to the station.  However, if you're trying to make a bus connection in Provo, a more reliable schedule would reduce the time you spend waiting for your bus.  I have yet to make a scheduled bus connection in Provo (though I did manage one in Orem, once), and it would be really nice to wait five, instead of thirty-five, minutes.  Arrivals at the scheduled time could also serve to uncomplicate things for those who drive to train stations as well, if excessive delays can be avoided.
  • I'm thinking of getting a Twitter account tonight for the sole reason that when someone tweets @rideuta something about "WHY CAN'T YOU CONNECT TO THE STUPID 228! UTA YOU SUCK!"  I can tweet back, "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST TAKE ROUTE 3? AND END QUESTIONS WITH QUESTION MARKS? AND PUT COMMAS AFTER DIRECT ADDRESSES? #bueller"
  • I predict that in a little while, maybe a few months, maybe a year or two, all this kerfuffle about FrontRunner being late will blow over, the schedule will get trimmed back down, and FrontRunner South will settle into becoming an ever-increasing force for good in our area.  Some may think this overly optimistic, but I do have a precedent: FrontRunner North in 2008.

We'll just have to see how it goes tomorrow . . .

9 comments:

  1. I think a busninja twitter account would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE make such a Twitter. Receiving pearly nuggets of busninja wisdom on a frequent, 140-character basis would be riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just happy with the extra time in the schedule, it let them put the Comet cars back on. It does seem a little two steps forward one step back with the trains passing in Centerville siding again instead of Farmington station. With multiple rail lines starting up, it will be about a year to get all the schedules worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was actually on FrontRunner today heading inbound from Ogden and was a tad disappointed that the stop at the Centerville siding was permanent.

      I'm obviously no scheduling guru, but it would have been nice if the Ogden-Salt Lake timetable could have been preserved.

      Delete
    2. I think the assessment of a year to get the schedule back is probably about right. Until then, FrontRunner has at least been on time the last two days. And I WILL ride a Comet car again one of these days . . .

      Delete
  4. Gah! The flattery! I can't resist . . . but seriously, though, I have been considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of asinine tweeters, check out @boycebg. He's a real piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how no one's picked up that headline yet.

      Delete