Friday, March 29, 2013

TREASURES FROM THE INTERNET

We've just been through an interesting time with transit around here.  FrontRunner opening was both a glorious joy and an utter failure, depending on who you ask (though the majority of people involved, probably the ones you wouldn't think to ask, seem to be able to get where they're going just fine without any particular adulatory or agony-ridden exclamations); it created quite a stir in the social media world.  Though the storm has largely passed over (and, hopefully, the Airport Line will be somewhat less controversial, though you just never know), the internet still abounds with posts and pictures that inspire extremely snarky responses within me.

xkcd.com


I promise to limit myself to transit-related ones on this blog.  This may become a recurring thing, if I feel like it.



The first one I didn't find.  It is similar to an endless volume of other comments on Facebook, and does as well as a representative example as any number of others would:

Image: Garrett Smith
  

 A number of responses come to mind when I read this:
  • Do you feel better now?
  • Are you SURE the train was two minutes early?  Or did your timepiece just SAY it was two minutes?  Discounting the off chance that you took the 248 or the F590 at the beginning of your journey, you drove to the 4800 West TRAX Station, which means that you had at least some control over when you got there.  Why did you allow less than two minutes to get from that crazy-long parking lot onto the TRAX platform (see picture below)?  Too late now; you don't remember the details well enough to answer.
  • *YOUR HORRENDOUS SERVICE
  • It's actually okay if you don't take the train anymore because individual equilibrium (IE) indicates that, when one person stops taking transit, another will start, due to the extra car on the road complicating someone else's life.  With any luck, the person who takes your place will be nice and easygoing.  And all of us who take transit will be grateful for that.
Seriously, this parking lot is LONG.


 Then there's this beauty:


  • All involved will have disregarded multiple signs, flashing signals, and even physical impediments to crossing the TRAX line before ever making contact with a train.  Anyone who bothers to pay attention will be fine.
  • During the same amount of time, at least ten times as many people will be killed by cars, and no one will care or even notice.  I wish we weren't so callous to the dangers of cars in our society, but we are.


Someone weighed in on the opening of the Airport Line a while ago:

  • *Airport TRAX Line
  • *schedules match, or *schedule matches; probably the first, since you used the singular "Line"
  • Let me get this straight.  You're saying that:
    • No one who lives in Rose Park is important
    • No one who works on North Temple is important
    • No one who works at, or patronizes, the Utah State Division of Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired is important
    • No one who goes to the State Fair is important
    • No one who works at, or patronizes, the airport between the hours of 5:16 a.m. and 11:37 p.m. is important
    • You're right; the Airport Line is going to be worthless.  I may as well give up now.


And this was the one that finally convinced me I should write this post:


  • I . . . I have nothing to say.  I cannot disagree . . .

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. Sometimes I wish people would actually think before they post things on the Internet. (And that was about the comments you posted).

    I wish people would actually think about the Frontrunner related death in the FULL context - a careless CAR driver who BROKE the law by not scraping their windows and thus hindering their ability to see a cyclist. They then hit this cyclist onto the tracks who was too injured to move out of the way of the coming train. Anyway...silly car drivers.

    And look, I am actually commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many ways to respond. Just have to think "Life's a Happy Song . . yes it is".

    ReplyDelete
  3. K. But really. Never in my life have I had TRAX be two minutes early. Have you? Course not. I'm glad I don't have the misfortune of knowing someone like her. I pity the ones who do.

    But I do like this. I hope this does become a recurring thing.

    ReplyDelete