Tuesday, April 23, 2013

THE BUS WHERE OLD PEOPLE DON'T SIT BY EACH OTHER

Last week, while we were still at the hospital, commutergirl sent me on several errands, since she really didn't feel like getting it herself, not to mention the nurses probably wouldn't have allowed it.

So I left the hospital to catch a bus all over town to run errands.  What bus do you catch from University Hospital?  Why, the 21, of course!  Okay, not exactly in front of University Hospital.

That was actually a joke--I'm kind of sleep-deprived.

Anyway, the 21 that day was the bus where old people didn't sit by each other. First there was the couple that was waiting at the stop by the TRAX station with me.  They didn't really stand by each other at the stop either, though they did still somehow carry on a conversation--I thought he was talking to me when he started speaking, because he wasn't even looking at her.  When they got on the bus, they sat across from each other rather than next to each other, though they still kept talking.  Eventually, as the bus got more crowded (I was surprised at how many people were already on the bus by the time it got to the TRAX station; the 21 does get impressively crowded at times) they moved to sit by each other, but after lots of people got off, they separated again.

Then, another elderly couple got on and sat across from each other rather than next to each other and talked to each other from across the bus.  And then ANOTHER elderly couple got on and didn't sit next to each other, either.  It was at this point that I decided to write about the experience.  This last couple, however, never said a word to each other, so I now believe they were not, in fact, a couple.

But still, weird.  When commutergirl and I ride the bus at the same time, we generally sit next to each other.  It makes conversation easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment