Thursday, June 20, 2013

EXTREMELY SCIENTIFIC GRAPH OF HOW MUCH RIDERSHIP WOULD INCREASE ON THE F514 IF IT WENT TO RIVER PARK CORPORATE CENTER INSTEAD OF WALMART

This graph has been requested by my friend and former co-worker Tim, who currently works in the River Park Corporate Center and with whom I have hashed out at great length his multifarious-but-all-equally-bad possibilities for getting to work.

So I did a lot of research in my head and produced the following graph, after much arduous drafting work:

Sorry, Tim.  But you had to know it was coming.

Actually, this graph is probably inaccurate because Tim has been talking up the benefits of transit to all his friends at work [riiiiiiiiiight?], who, if UTA puts those stops back, would jump at the chance to catch the F514 from the South Jordan FrontRunner station into work every day.

I'm not saying it's likely (even though Tim is a very convincing speaker), but it would be nice.

5 comments:

  1. Best part of this post: "So I did a lot of research in my head..." I would love to see what your works cited page looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the '13s. In real life. 13001, 13051, and 13052 are parked on the southwestern periphery of Meadowbrook. 13001 looks to be the first of the twenty-four CNG buses UTA is getting this year. 13051 and 13052 are two new ski buses that'll join the fleet. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the electronic destination signs (the three that are above the windshield, on the side, and on the back) are different than what have been used since the '09s came into service. I'm also pretty sure there's a camera mounted to the back of the '13s.

    That, and the numerals that indicate the vehicle number are for the first time in a narrower-width variant of Helvetica. Which is odd, because the numerals have been in the same typeface for decades.

    I feel so nerdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is a funny thing--last Saturday I was trying to transfer from the 35 to the 39 in front of the Meadowbrook office, missed the transfer by seconds, and ended up spending a half hour waiting for the next one. I would have had ample time to contemplate the new '13 buses; alas, they were not there last week. I'm sure I'll see one soon, though, and proceed to itemize all the differences with other makes of Gillig buses in great detail in a blog post. I'm curious to see how the CNG buses ride and whether they smell different (very important factors when the '10 hybrids came out a few years ago).

      MORE ski buses? They must be for Ogden or something.

      Also, if people weren't nerdy, my blog wouldn't get very many hits . . .

      Delete
    2. Heh. I didn't realize the '10 hybrids smelled differently. They definitely ride a tad differently. The engine sounds more, I dunno, high tech. And they're much quieter. I find myself astonished whenever a hybrid drives past me as I walk and it's about half as loud as a standard diesel.

      I'm also curious how these new signs will look. UTA hasn't quite mastered the '09-'13 signs. For example, take the 223. It flashes between "To Cottonwood" in small letters and "Corp" in really big letters. Or the 228/500/some other routes that terminate at Central Station. "To SL Central" in small letters followed by "Station" in big letters. Of course, it's silly to emphasize Corp, or Station. This sounded more cohesive in my head. Oh well.

      Delete
    3. My favorite was the 220: "TO" in huge letters, "9400 S 2000 E" in small letters, then "Park 'n' Ride" in huge letters. They've since changed it. This is another phenomenon I wasn't aware of until I moved to Salt Lake--I remember the headers in Utah County generally being the same size (all small).

      Delete