Wednesday, June 5, 2013

IT'S NOT LIKE I NEEDED TO GET HOME OR ANYTHING

Today when I got off FrontRunner at Murray Central I saw the following:

TO PROVO 26 MIN

meaning, of course, that FrontRunner was 4 minutes behind--not, as I have mentioned before, the end of the world, but just late enough to miss the 200.


Sure enough, as I was walking across the parking lot, the 200 pulled away.  I thought about waving to it and saying

GOODBYE, FAIR 200

But the people around me wouldn't have understood.

Well, I was feeling full of ingenuity, so I took TRAX up to Murray North to try to catch a 45 or a 205 or a 228.  I figured my chances were better there than at Meadowbrook, where I only had the 39.  Of course, when I was crossing the tracks onto the bus platform, the 228 pulled out, and there was no 205 in sight.

GOODBYE, FAIR 228

Murray North is set up in such a way that when a bus leaves, it has to pull around a loop and double back past the passenger boarding area.  It is therefore possible to run across the street and flag down the bus after it has pulled out, and most bus drivers will stop for you, since they have souls.  But today I was annoyed at having already missed two buses by seconds, so I walked over to the 45/228 stop and stood there superciliously in full view of the 228 driver as he pulled out of the station.

He should have waited.  I also shouldn't have been passive-aggressive about it.  It's okay--I got my comeuppance waiting 15 minutes for a 45 and not getting home until well after I would have had I just waited around for the next 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment