Thursday, July 25, 2013

PIONEER DAY 2013

I think I have told this story on the blog at some time in the past, but I can't find it, so instead of copying and pasting I'll rerecount it briefly here:

I was riding the 822 in the middle of the day, back in the day when I didn't work full time yet.  Back in this particular day, the 822 only came once every two hours or so in the middle of the day, meaning that you either had to plan your whole day around catching one bus or bring camping gear with you to the bus stop.  I had chosen the first and was a fair bit grouchy about it.

Shortly after I huffily sat down in the back of the bus, an elderly man turned to me and said: "Isn't this wonderful?  The pioneers would be amazed if they saw how we get around these days!"

I was a bit taken aback by his question, both because it came without warning and because it reflected the opposite mindset from the one I was experiencing.  But it made me think.  It doesn't matter how I think things are supposed to be; it doesn't matter what I or anyone else think we deserve in this enlightened, modern age.  There is too much to be grateful for for people like me to mope about what we don't have.

I was reminded of this experience yesterday as we went out on the town for Pioneer Day.


I thought about all the service cuts the transit people of Utah have dealt with, even as other service is expanding--how the bus used to run on all the holidays; the late nights, Saturdays, and Sundays that many routes no longer run.  I thought:

I wish more routes ran on Sundays and holidays.
I wish UTA had run any service at all on July 4th this year.
I wish the bus ran later.
I wish everybody took transit.

But I am grateful for all the service we do have.  We have it so good.

The pioneers would have been amazed.

1 comment: