Tuesday, August 20, 2013

TIMEOUT

Yesterday I got on the 220.  It's happened before.

As is good manners, I waited for people to get off before I got on.  A woman who was getting off asked the bus driver, "Is this up here State Street?" to which the bus driver said, "Yes."

The woman's tone of voice was calm enough, so I was unprepared for what happened next.  As she got off the bus, she wailed in utter despair:

IT TOOK AN HOUR!

IT WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO TAKE

[pause to think of a sufficiently dramatic number]

THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES!

(I'm not sure where she was coming from.  But an hour is kind of how the 220 rolls if you're catching it from the suburbs to downtown.  Just saying.)

After had gotten on the bus and sat down, one of the passengers remarked to everyone in particular, "She needs a timeout!"

I'm guessing that I didn't hear her first wail of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment