Wednesday, September 11, 2013

HEARTS ALL WHOLE

Last year I put up a video of Leonard Slatkin conducting the BBC Philharmonic in Barber's Adagio for StringsYou should watch it, then come back.

Back?  Okay, good.

This year, I offer a somewhat different video, also with music by Barber that captures a different set of feelings I have about the events of September 11, 2001, and about life in general.



Not what you were expecting?  Me either, when I decided to search the depths of YouTube for a good recording of this piece. But I think this recording captures what I'm trying to convey best of any I found.

There are four lines from the poem (by James Agee) that are my favorites:

The late year lies down the north.
All is healed, all is health.
High summer holds the earth.
Hearts all whole.

This passage inspires a lot of feelings in me, most of which I won't burden you with tonight.  Suffice it to say that there is a healing that comes with the passage of time and the living of life.  I believe this because I am religious.  As I was looking at last year's post, it suddenly struck me just how crazy my life was last year at this time, and how crazy it is not this year (Baby notwithstanding).  And this poem started creeping back into my veins: All is healed, all is health.  And I realized that even life with all its problems and tragedies leaves so much to be grateful for, so much to be happy about (or in my case, to be happily somber about).  I have a grown-up job with benefits.  I still only drive about once every six months, which is absolutely the way I prefer it.  I have a loving wife and a cute baby.  I am happy.  Most of this was harder to come by than it must appear, to look at me.  There have been times when I was completely empty, but now I am full.  Hearts all whole.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the next generation is fussing in the other room, probably because he rolled over and can't figure out how to get back onto his back; I need to turn him back over so he can look at me with a shocked face and then immediately fall asleep.  Good night.

(Don't worry, I'll be back to normal tomorrow.  I took pictures!)

2 comments:

  1. Say, what!?!!? You and commutergirl had a baby!?!?!? Congratulations!

    I haven't seen you in ages- but the other day someone mentioned the new lines of trax etc, and I realized I hadn't laughed at your blog in an alarming amount of time. And what do I find?!?! A baby! Where are the pictures?

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are scattered hither and thither . . . it's part of a ploy to keep everyone clicking :)

      Delete