Monday, September 30, 2013

SCHADENFREUDE, ALMOST

I know this post is way behind schedule, but I am happy that I finally got my life organized enough to have a backlog of posts for this blog (baby steps . . .)

As I've mentioned before, I never read the Salt Lake Tribune, except when I see blatantly misleading headlines, which is, okay, all the time. I see the headlines in the Tribune box near the bus stop I patronize on 39th South. Recently there have been a lot of headlines that incensed me (and certainly had no business being on the front page), though it mercifully seems to have died down in the last month or so. And then, the other day, there was one that talked about layoffs and early retirements at the Trib.

I got out my pensieve and looked at a few thoughts, expecting to find at least a little bit of Schadenfreude. Or some Selbstgefälligkeit. I'd even have taken some Vergeltungswaffe. But there was none of that. I'm not happy that anyone lost their job.

But I was interested in one thing: that people in the infamous comments section were ascribing the layoffs to various motives, in response to which the official Tribune account responded that it was none of that, just the bottom line.

And I thought, wait a second: did the Tribune just have SERVICE CUTS?

Fascinating.

I'LL BELIEVE THE TRIBUNE NEEDS TO CUT STAFF WHEN THEY FIRE TWO-THIRDS OF THEIR EXECUTIVES AND THE BOARD! ALL THEY'RE REALLY TRYING TO DO IS GET RICH OFF THE NEWSPAPER-READING PUBLIC! EVERYTHING WAS FINE WHEN THE TRIBUNE WAS JUST A REGULAR NEWSPAPER, BUT NO, THEN THEY HAD TO GO PUTTING STUFF ONLINE AND MESSING EVERYTHING UP. FIRE THE BOARD AND GET SOME PEOPLE IN HERE WHO ACTUALLY READ NEWSPAPERS, PAPER NEWSPAPERS, BECAUSE PROGRESS IS BAD! NOW THAT'S A NEWS STORY I CAN GET BEHIND!*

*I really don't care--this is a paraphrase of a few of the more precious comments the Tribune has had lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment