Saturday, October 19, 2013

MY GOOD DEED FOR THE DAY

The other day, I was waiting for TRAX at Salt Lake Central, when FrontRunner pulled in and a huge host of out-of-towners got off.  Given that they were almost all sporting Xango memorabilia of some sort, I assume some kind of conference was going on.  Many of them conversed happily in Spanish as they walked past me and onto the center of the TRAX platform, which was enough to get me to glance up from reading my movie reviews, but not much more than that.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the topography of Salt Lake Central, there is a TRAX platform with tracks on both sides, but if a train pulls in on the west track, you can board it from both sides, so most people don't bother walking all the way onto the platform proper.)

The TRAX train pulled in, and I got on.  It quickly became apparent that the mass of happily conversing people had no intention of getting on.  I suppose they were expecting a train to pull in on the east side.

I opened the door, leaned out, and said to the closest row of people on the platform:

This is the end of the line.  You have to get on here.

I was met with several deer-in-the-headlights looks of utter linguistic incompatibility.  So I took a deep breath and bellowed:

¡ÉSTE ES EL FINAL DE LA LÍNEA!
¡TIENEN QUE SUBIR AQUÍ!

At which they all moved as one onto the train, saying things like "Haha, we would have just let it go by!  That's so silly!"

In Spanish, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment