Tuesday, October 15, 2013

THE RELIEF SOCIETY BROADCAST (MILLCREEK)

As you may (or may not; it's a free world) know, a couple weeks ago was the General Relief Society broadcast of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which was held in the Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City.

The two or so weeks before the event, it was announced in our ward's Relief Society meeting that the ward would have enough tickets for anyone who wanted to go, so naturally a lot of people wanted to go.  Once the general merriment had subsided, it was time for serious business.  "We need to coordinate rides now," said the Relief Society president, "because we only have six parking spots, and they're far away from the building."

Commutergirl piped up and said something to the effect of, "There's a TRAX station just down the road; why don't we use it?"

She was met with incomprehension at best.  "Well, you can do that if you want . . ."

When commutergirl told me about it later, I admit I was a little disappointed.

It turned out that commutergirl did take the train to the broadcast, along with several other sisters; a couple of other sisters mentioned that they would take the train, but had already made plans to watch the broadcast in the elsewhere of downtown.

I hope everyone else also enjoyed their trip to the conference.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in the Pleasant View YSA ward I was able to convince them to use FrontRunner for an activity to see Christmas lights at Temple Square. We met at Ogden station and used group passes for those who did not have a pass already. Now it is a tradition in that ward.

    I agree it takes a little more effort with older adults who are not familiar with transit. Others just don't know about how great the group pass is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Meadowbrook TRAX station has been around for almost 14 years now. I see no reason why it isn't already a firmly entrenched tradition around here :)

      Delete
  2. Why people are so obsessed with driving downtown bewilders me! With such a great system that delivers you almost to the gates of Temple Square, why would anyone drive there?

    P.S. Since I am since single, I'm trying to find a "commutergirl" of my own. What is the secret to finding one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid it's terribly cliché--BYU singles ward; I was her home teacher--so I don't have any specific advice, other than show up . . . however, we did go on a date because she commented on this blog, so there is that.

    ReplyDelete