Wednesday, November 27, 2013

EXPRESS YOURSELF

A short while ago I was approaching the FrontRunner tracks at an at-grade crossing, when the gates started to come down and the dreaded dinging began.  It was not a FrontRunner train--it was a UP train, which means

We could be here for a while.

There were a couple of people approaching the crossing from the other direction, who, when the saw the train, were possessed of a sudden urgency to get through the crossing in front of it rather than wait for it to go by.  Like most Utahans, they decided that saving 15 minutes (at the most) was more important than their continued survival.

As they ran across, one of them gave me a smug smile and said,

I'm not gonna wait for that s***

I merely cocked an eyebrow at him, because, first of all, learn to express yourself; and second, how many people have to get hit by trains before you stop darting in front of them?  (One more, apparently.) His smile melted into slightly embarrassed confusion.

My ability to not smile back is not one of my more endearing traits.  As I slowly grow my soul back this year, I've tried to reserve it for situations where death or serious injury may be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment