Thursday, November 7, 2013

TREASURES FROM THE INTERNET (8)

Tonight's first treasure comes by way of the Twitter, in which we see a victory for happiness and optimism:


There are so many gems here; I'll try to exercise at least some discretion:
  • "Insincerity to save face?"  Do you mean your insincerity to save face?  Or are we calling magnanimity in the face of truculence "insincerity" these days?  That could be indicative of a larger problem in our society . . .
  • "Let's just move on with our lives"?  You started it!
  • I think it's safe to say you have been vanquished by the sheer joyousness of the UTA twitterperson. 

Secondly, I now have incontrovertible proof that Lee Davidson uses Copy-and-Paste to write his "news" stories.  A while ago, the following typo appeared in one of his articles:


  • $2,0126 is not a number.
  • $2,376 - $360 = $2,016.  Clearly you stuck an extra "2" in.  It happens to the best of us.  But this typo still hasn't been corrected, 23 days later, despite the fact that the first ten or so comments on the article made fun of the typos in it.
That was bad enough.  But then the following appeared last week:



You couldn't proofread it the first time.  Then you copied exactly the same text into another article, and you couldn't proofread it the second time, either.  Go ahead, read it.  It's exactly the same between "Such" and "year."  Typo and all.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  You should have been "let go" instead of someone else.  And the editors of the Trib should be red-faced for allowing such drivel to last so long on their pages.  How can I take anything you say seriously when you are clearly trying to coast through your career by taking potshots at an easy government target, potshots that you can't even come up with anew for each article?  I find your lack of initiative detestable--unless it is due to some kind of extreme personal hardship, in which case you should seek help instead of spreading it around in public media.  I find the fact that the haters only appear on your articles utterly suspicious.  I think the only reason you still have your job is because you are blackmailing your co-workers or because your management is utterly incompetent to recognize bad journalism.  I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt for months, but last week I gave up.  I hope you lose your job; if and when you do, I hear UTA is hiring bus drivers.

**catches breath**

Sorry, that was a bit much.  But it is in response to a bit much.  Here's a little lighter fare to finish off the night.  Did you know that Bitstrips has a whole page dedicated to "Commute?"

Not that I've ever done that.  Looked for them, I mean.




Of course, there's no bus stop with a shelter anywhere near my house.

I've never actually made it quite that far.

6 comments:

  1. So. Change day.

    > The new 217 heartens me. It resembles the transit service that UTA was providing in 2008. Impressive. The trip that extends into Jordan Meadows past midnight is stellar, although the only issue with that is that people downtown have no way of accessing that trip.
    > Something must be going right with the 811, because trips have been added. This despite the fact that every time I have patronized it/seen it from FrontRunner/seen it from the freeway ridership has been downright pitiful. And it still runs MCIs. So.
    > Good for UTA for adding those helper trips to the 830 and 831. Bummer the connection between the 830 and FrontRunner couldn't have been figured out. It's a shame the December 2012 FrontRunner schedule didn't work out, because the 830 connected exceptionally well to FrontRunner. One could catch the 830 from BYU at 10:40 pm, make the last FrontRunner at 10:57, and arrive to Murray Central in time to take the last Red Line as far north as Central Pointe at 11:43. (Of course, this is assuming FrontRunner was on time—a rare occurrence prior to February.)
    > The F504 makes sense, although the only way it'll be successful is if UTA actually posts stops consistently along its route. The current F514 has/will have had stops along 11400 South spaced up to every five blocks. That's not at all conducive to ridership.
    > Those new timepoints on the 220 are super useful, though does it really need eleven minutes to get from Central Station to City Creek at ten at night?
    > The S Line ends service rather early. I guess it's a little later than the 21. Though the 21 is faster and runs more frequently on weekdays. I'm not at all optimistic about the S Line's ridership.
    > The 805's online schedule makes it look like service to Santaquin was truncated. (Hint to UTA to fix that discrepancy.)
    > This has caused quite a stir. Which, honestly, is quite deserved. UTA's social media rep will refer to its "graphic designer" or what have you from time to time. Um, that individual has no business being a graphic designer.

    That's all I have. Smaller change day this time around, which probably in the end is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change day! In order:

      - Heartens is a good word. The new 217 heartens me as well. Particularly for the Jordan-Meadows-ers this is a major improvement in service. The 218 has lost quite a bit, however--which probably won't be a major deal, but there are a few people who currently take the 218 early and late on the south end who won't be happy. I hope the 217 in particular takes off so that we can see extended span of service elsewhere in the valley *cough* 200 *cough* 205 *coughcough* --not that I'm partial to a particular route or anything.
      - I don't know if the 811 is doing better now that it goes to the Transit Center again. Everyone seemed to think it would, though the Transit Center is not as much of a hub as it used to be. I don't patronize the 811 these days, mostly out of principle, because I honestly feel like I've done my time with all the times I had to catch the bus down to BYU on Saturdays. I have a hard time imagining it's terribly busy; when I took it regularly, even the clown-car midday trips only had a few people getting on or off in American Fork and Lehi. Almost everyone sat all the way to Sandy Civic Center and piled onto TRAX trains. I'm not always right, though; one time I took the 509 inbound at about 3:20 p.m. and was utterly astonished when about 40 people got on at three stops and rode all the way to downtown. The 509 is legit. I had no idea. The 811? I'll keep a healthy skepticism for now.
      - I've wondered about extending the 862 from UVU to the FrontRunner station, along the same path as the 830 currently follows. It would help with congestion, and give the 862 some more ridership. The 862 was always the runt of the pack when I lived in Provo/Orem. Of course, now we have the 836, compared to which the 862 is a total bombshell. As is UVU, apparently. I'm glad one college in Utah County is transit friendly these days.

      Delete
    2. - In BYU's defense, the transfer from the 830 to FrontRunner Northbound is quite unpalatable. As I've droned on about elsewhere, the 830 is simply the wrong length to connect well with FrontRunner in both directions without adding an extra bus all night (I'm not going to bet on the odds of THAT happening). I was down there earlier this week, and you'll never guess which driver does the 830 trip that connects BYU with the last FrontRunner train of the night. Needless to say, I will not be making that trip again, at least not until after change day.
      - I rode the F514 from end to end once back when it was brand new. So much nothing went on between Daybreak and Jordan Gateway. Hopefully the F504 and F514 can be much more punchy now, including, as you say, more frequent stops.
      - No. No it doesn't. But those timepoints are sorely needed--the 220 and 228 are basically unusable between Salt Lake Central and the U without them.
      - Frankly, I think the 21 should go back to running until midnight as well *coughcough*. The jury's still out for me as to whether the S-Line will have much ridership right at the beginning. It's further away from where all the magic happens on 21st, but trains are so much more . . . unpestilential? . . . than buses. If only people knew that the 21 is totally the cool bus.
      - Hint, hint.
      - Um . . .
      - I'm glad to see this change day calming things down a bit. I'm glad to see the 21 isn't getting cut back any more due to the S-Line opening. I hope that changes from here on out are more of the "we're restoring bus service" nature than of the "trips cut due to low ridership" nature. I feel like good things are in the works, but we do have a long way to go. Until then, happy riding, and may all your transfers line up beautifully, even after 7:00 p.m.

      Delete
  2. > I've been contemplating the F504 more and the transit service that Daybreak will now receive. Combined with the F518, people traveling between TRAX and Soda Row—the de facto village center of Daybreak—have some rather great service, especially during peak times.
    > But really. Who designed that horrific map? Must have been the same guy who made the humble map on the S Line's schedule. Look at the wild inconsistency of the length of those lines underneath the station names! If I had some extra time I would design a map and donate it for UTA's use free of charge. I have no experience in graphic design, unless you count primitive experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidentally hit submit. The point I was making with that last sentence is if someone with no experience can make a map better than a "graphic designer," you know you have a problem. But, hey: I'll take improvements in service over a better map any day.

      Delete
    2. Is it time for a new version of my map? Yes.

      Delete