Monday, December 9, 2013

ESS

Last Saturday, as you statistically already know, the ESS line opened in South Salt Lake/Sugar House.  I decided to brave the crowds and the cold, despite my aversion to cold -- and happy people* -- since this would be the last grand opening UTA would have for the foreseeable future.

I got on the ESS line at Central Pointe.  I was concerned that not that many people would be on the train, since it's harder to get there in a car than the other lines that opened recently, which rules out the crowd that thinks that trains are cool but cars are still for getting around most of the time.**  There were quite a lot of people on the train, though.

dedicated streetcar ridErS Stand all the way to fairmont
It looked like a good time was had by all, even though it was cold.

dedicated christmas carolErS Stand by the heater
dedicated dietErS Stay away from maplebacon donuts
Fairmont Station is next to Fairmont Park, which looks pleasant enough; the aquatic center is also right there, and numberous places to eat and otherwise spend money nearby (the shops east of 1100 East are one of our favorite places to hang on a summer's evening before the last 21 leaves at 8:59 p.m.***).  So we'll definitely visit from time to time--who knows, we may eventually live over there.

I think the streetcar corridor has the potential to become quite pleasant (temperatures above 30 will definitely help . . .) and I'm excited to watch the area grow and develop.  I'm okay with a modest beginning, both to the ESS Line and to the streetcar network I am confident will eventually return to Salt Lake, etc.  And I'm okay with no more grand openings for a while.  We move slowly, we stumble, but we are making steps toward a truly marvelous transit system.

I think we'll get there sooner than we think.

*I don't have an aversion to happy people.  Mostly.
**I realize that most of my friends, as well as and including most of my blog readership, fall into this category--all I'm saying is that you were less likely to visit the ESS line last Saturday, not that you're bad people.
***I was going to say "just after 9:00 p.m."  Then I looked at the new schedule and realized I had to correct myself.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that more people came out on Saturday. I was on the 10:00 am train from Central Pointe, and there were only a half dozen of us.

    Of course the train was packed for Thursday's VIP ride:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdGRia99uWo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there about 2:00 p.m. Maybe it was because it was the warmest part of the day.

    ReplyDelete