Monday, May 26, 2014

IF YE BREAK FAITH

In keeping with the rather loosely enforced tradition of sometimes sharing musical selections on holidays or other days of remembrance, I offer you this afternoon a video of an excellent recording of "Flanders Fields" by John McCrae, as set by Paul Aitken, performed by the Quintessential Vocal Ensemble.



The one phrase in this setting that has always haunted me (besides "We are the dead," which haunts everyone) is

IF YE BREAK FAITH WITH US WHO DIE

This phrase haunted me when my high school choir sang this piece, and it haunts me now as I spread peanut butter upon wheat crackers and sit typing at my computer in absolute peace (commutergirl and Baby are napping), my biggest annoyance being that someone occasionally walks past my window talking loudly--do these dead think that most of what I care about is even remotely important? I'd like to think that I've made a good impact on the world, even in my small sphere; I have a good job that I genuinely enjoy that I believe helps make my community better; recently, at least, the list of people I have offended is somewhat shorter than the list of people I have helped. But I often get awfully caught up in a lot of very silly stuff. Which, I suppose, is why it is good to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment