Monday, June 9, 2014

HOW TO STOP A SKI BUS FROM RATTLING, PART 2

I'm still not quite sure how he did it.

He got on the bus and stood by the back door, even though there were plenty of open seats (I admit I judged him a little bit for that)--then, because we were on a ski bus, he registered that the ski racks were rattling and walked toward them.

I thought at this juncture about pointing out the futility of investigating the rattling ski racks, or doing anything to try to fix them, because they were born to rattle, destined to rattle, and who were people like he and I to stop them from rattling?  Fortunately, I was feeling antisocial enough that day not to indulge this particular urge.

I say fortunately because he walked up to the rattling ski gate, opened it and . . .

. . . adjusted something? welded something? changed the gravitational constant of the universe?  I have no idea . . .

. . . but the rattling stopped.  He shut the gate and resumed his stoic posture in front of the back door.  And I sat in wondrous peace for the remainder of my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment