Thursday, May 21, 2015

FOR OLD TIMES' SAKE

So yesterday I rode the 811.

It started with a brilliant trip down the bustling streets of Draper

Observe the bustle!

and a distressing junction with a certain freeway that I thought I had bid farewell to forever.

Observe the lack of hustle


After getting over the Point of the Mountain, we were about ten minutes behind, and stayed that way (I could see the screen). I had forgotten that part of my life where the bus being "only" ten minutes behind was a fortuitous circumstance. I had forgotten how much I hated sitting on a bus in stop-and-go traffic that stretched as far as the eye could see in both directions. I had forgotten the urgency of realizing that you might not arrive at your destination remotely close to the time you intended.

I earnestly worried for the mental health of the people who do this to themselves every day.

The current 811 is much faster than any previous version. Seems a shame it was only for eleven people.

Eventually we got to the Transit Center in Orem, after which the bus looked like this:

Your eyes do not deceive you.
I had forgotten how many people are anxious to cut off a bus on 2230 North in Provo. I hope you all enjoyed that extra three seconds you gained by cutting off the bus, at least until you lost it again at the next traffic light. The driver and I traded a few dry remarks about people who cut buses off. There honestly wasn't much else to do. Few people used that stretch of 2230 North at the best of times, so I wasn't shocked that nobody else got on before I exited the bus near the temple.

Honestly, if this is what the 811 has become, it's probably okay it doesn't run more service. Though it does feel a little odd that it's the only bus going past the temple now. Somehow I get the feeling that this situation won't be permanent; heaven knows the buses have already changed around many times in Utah County. All in all, it wasn't an unpleasant experience; just a strange relic of the bustling 811 I used to know.

Of course I took FrontRunner home.

No comments:

Post a Comment