Monday, July 27, 2015

CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A YARD WASTE TRUCK

This morning as I waited for a 2 that was not moving on the map, a yard waste truck pulled up right in front of me and loaded some grass clippings up into itself with great fanfare, if by "fanfare" you mean "ruckus."

I was already annoyed because the yard waste bin was hanging out with some of its friends right in front of the bus stop and I was having to invest more effort than usual in remaining visible for a bus that was not moving on the map, and said fanfare didn't help. I didn't realize there was more to come.

As the truck gingerly set the bin back down and pulled away, my nostrils were accosted by a beguiling combination of clearly-several-weeks-old grass clippings and diesel exhaust. I've not been so intrigued and revolted at the same time in quite a while.

I didn't realize there was more to come. I checked my phone one last time, and still seeing the 2 at the same intersection where it had been for the last three minutes, I did the only thing I knew would get the bus to move: I walked a block and waited for the 220 instead.

When I got to the 220 stop I checked my phone. Judging by where the 2 was, it had started moving as soon as I had. Of course. Of course it got downtown before the 220 did.

I didn't realize there was more to come--when I did, eventually, get to work, I was momentarily panicked by the fact that it smelled like a small mammal had crawled up into the ceiling tiles and died. Anxious lest the smell of the yard waste truck had stuck to me permanently, I hid myself in my cubicle and devoted myself to my spreadsheets in silence.

But that was it--nobody was sure what the stench was, but it wasn't me. The rest of the day was actually pretty peaceful. Nothing wrong with a little spice to add to the beginning of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment