Tuesday, December 15, 2015

WHO IS THIS MAN?

During my sesquipedalian commute to work yesterday, I found myself waiting for a bus on State Street downtown. State Street downtown is on an incline, for those of you unfamiliar with its geography; that it is inclined is never more apparent than when it is snowing and cars are sliding out everywhere. I'm generally in favor of helping these people (my Dear-stupid-Provo-driver radar is suspended on such occasions), and in fact I and a complete stranger with whom I had been sharing my sizeable umbrella helped someone pull away from the curb just after the experience I'm about to recount:

(Don't be fooled by what I've just recounted--I'm still a misanthrope when it's not snowing)

The 451 from Tooele pulled up. It had surely had a long and arduous journey to get to State Street, which was not improved by the fact that it couldn't pull away after letting people off. The wheels spun and spun and the bus went nowhere. Very demoralizing.

As I mentioned above, I'm not against helping people out in this situation, but I'm not sure I ever want to stand downhill of an MCI on an icy road, so I contented myself with watching in consternation. Imagine my surprise when a man who had been shoveling snow on the sidewalk dropped his shovel, ran over, and pushed on the corner of the MCI bus until it successfully pulled away and continued up the road. All of us who were waiting for buses observed this in utter bemusement. I thought about snapping a picture, but it seemed classless to photograph someone else working that hard, and I would have had to take my gloves off, so I forbore.

When, after a life age of the earth


the 200 pulled up, I observed this same man a couple of blocks away helping a produce truck pull away from the curb.

Later yesterday I would shovel heavy, wet snow for about two-and-a-half hours, followed by redoing my driveway this morning (including everything the snowplow threw onto it). My whole body was tired, and as I tried to walk to the bus stop this morning over all the snow that people hadn't shoveled off their front walks, my legs protested: "Dude, you're going to have to take better care of us if you want us to go this fast ever again." I missed the bus I was intending to catch because I couldn't walk fast enough (fortunately, the buses were pretty on time this morning). I can't imagine shoveling snow on multiple blocks of State Street and then even imagining I had enough energy to push an MCI.

My respects to this man. Someone give him a medal before he hurts himself.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow this post reminds me of a scene from Mystery Men.

    ReplyDelete